Home Page Science Frontiers
ONLINE

No. 107: Sep-Oct 1996

Issue Contents





Other pages



 


 


 


 


 


 


 


 


 

 

The Perils Of Dhmo

Warnings are appearing in many places about the dangers of the "killer" chemical dihydrogen monoxide (DHMO). The situation is serious enough to warn the readers of Science Frontiers. We quote from New Scientist, which got it from a notice on the Internet.

"Dihydrogen monoxide is colourless, odourless, tasteless, and kills uncounted thousands of people each year," the notice warns. "Most of these deaths are caused by accidental inhalation of DHMO, but the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide do not end there. Prolonged exposure to its solid form causes severe tissue damage. Symptoms of DHMO ingestion can include excessive sweating and urination, and possibly a bloated feeling, nausea, vomiting and body electrolyte imbalance..."

Contamination by DHMO is worldwide. It has been found in every stream and lake, even in the Antarctic. It is a major component of acid rain and contributes to the greenhouse effect. Yet, world governments refuse to take steps to ban its use in solvents, coolants, fire retardants, etc.

(Anonymous; "Feedback," New Scientist, p. 96, May 18, 1996)

From Science Frontiers #107, SEP-OCT 1996. 1996-2000 William R. Corliss